Content marketing best practices
Content is fuel for digital marketing. It is hard to do anything – SEO, paid search, social media, email, etc. – without having quality content.
Corey Morris from Search Engine Journal
Content marketing is about creating and displaying content in different formats through digital media to build brand awareness. Its about providing valuable content with the sole purpose of inspiring your viewers to know your brand offering. Content marketing comes in many forms, here are some of the most popular forms and best practices for producing content for your customers.
1. Blog Posts
Blogs are a great way of providing information for your customers, and it takes no time at all once you get into the swing of it. Posting valuable insights and information keeps your audience up to date, and has the potential to position your brand as a reputable source of reliable information and as an industry expert. It gives you the opportunity to post regular content, that gives your audience information about your products and services.
But to have any real significant impact, blogs need to be published regularly to attract new visitors and create a loyal following. This also allows you to cross-promote other content on your site, adding more value for your customers. It is also important to know what content marketing is not designed as a sales tool, you’re not asking your viewers to buy anything. But instead, you are providing valuable information for the purpose of driving value and in turn building brand awareness.
Best practices for blogging:
- Make sure you have social share buttons available on your posts so people can share your content
- Publish on a regular basis to build regular engagement with your audience
- Use visually captivating images to inspire your audience
- Make sure your content is informative and packed with loads of helpful information
2. Audio Podcasts
Podcasts are extremely high engaging material for your audience. Especially for those that don’t have the time to watch or read content. They offer extremely good value when interviewing interesting people or hosting industry conversations with regular guests or people who are part of the community. They are designed as a series of topical information and can be provided as a subscription service. When you do this, you are building a regular audience, which builds brand loyalty.
Best practices for podcasts:
- Post regular to build brand loyalty and continued engagement with your audience
- Mention a ‘keyword’ in your podcast as this is likely to rank and increase our organic traffic
- To build your audience pack it with inspirational info and advice for newbies
- Social proof your podcast by advertising downloads from different countries or reviews on your website
Are you looking after your website?
Learn how we take the hassle out of website maintenance…
Video content is now becoming the preferred delivery method for audiences. According to HubSpot video is 40 times more likely to be shared on social media than other. This is great as you tube delivers more exposure and reach for our brand.
You Tube best practices:
- Captivate your audience by using high-quality video
- Educate and captivate your audience
- Make sure its well branded to capture the attention of new subscribers
- Brand with an icon or banner using Jpg, Bmp or Png file
- Organise the content with a playlist to keep them in the channel
- Optimise the about tab to build and key terms in your bio and description, titles, and tags
E-Books are a fantastic lead generation tool, simply by providing helpful advice to your customers, you again can position your brand as a resource of great information, which in turn has the potential to position your brand as a leader in your industry. Customers love receiving helpful information that will assist and inspire them. An easy-to-access ebook, does just the job!
E-book best practices:
- Follow a narrative structure and a lot of good visual design’
- Use graphic design tools such as Canva to help you get the overall layout and design right
- Promote your ebook on your website and social media
- Provide content that your customers will find helpful and be able to use as a resource
- Use a variety of different formats to engage, entertain and educate your customers
- Use captivating images to intrigue and build curiosity
- For blogs and podcasts, post regularly to build a loyal following
- Do not sell — not designed to sell
- Optimise keywords for SEO to organically grow traffic
- Ensure longevity by creating evergreen content
- Promote your blogs, podcasts and videos on all social media platforms.
- Frequency is key to building a loyal following